Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Goodbye 20's...Hello 30's!

April 20, 1978.

The day I was born.

My mom always said that I was stubborn and that I wanted to wait until the first day of the sign of the Taurus. Taurus' are believed to be the most stubborn of the bunch. Maybe she was right.

Funny to think that I'm 30. It's the quintessential symbol of adulthood. I used to be afraid of that number. But I guess I really did grow up along the way because I actually looked forward to it. I got a chance to look back on my life and see how far I've come over the years. I had a decent childhood. I survived my teenage years. I graduated college. I found the love of my life. I own a house. I have built a pretty good career so far. Damn I'm good. But it was hard and I accept the fact that I deserve my life for what it is because I made it what it is. I have great friends and family that are by my side through thick and thin. I love it. And if I got this far in 30 years, I can't wait to see what the next 30 years are going to bring.

OK. Enough reflecting.

I bet you want to know what I did to ring in the all-important 3-0. Well, I made it last as long as possible! Almost a whole week! My birthday fell on a Sunday. Not exactly a great let's-go-out-and-celebrate night. And I had just come back from my big tradeshow and was completely exhausted. I had absolutely zero plans - until my friends called me.

Birthday Bash #1:

I've recently met a group of newlyweds in this area and we really hit it off - even our husbands. So we've been hanging out a lot lately. They decided that I shouldn't stay at home and do nothing. There is a bar in Port Costa that one of them recommended. It's right on the water, it's a biker bar, and totally laid back. Right up my alley!!! Can I just say that my new favorite drink is a Root Beer Float - and best of all it came in a red party cup! How cool is that?? I must have sucked down about 5 and I was TOASTED! It was totally fun and was just what I needed! Thanks girls!!!



Birthday Bash #2:
Brian had asked me what I wanted to do. All I wanted was a party - at OUR house. I wanted to be surrounded by family and friends. And that's exactly what I got. My mom came down a few days early to help clean the house and cook the food. We had a taco bar, enchiladas, rice, beans, chips, salsa and of course... MARGARITA's!!! About 20 people showed up too - old friends, new friends, co-workers, my mom and my dad even rode his motorcycle to be there. I really had a fabulous time. I couldn't have asked for a better party. Brian even surprised me by decorating the house. There were streamers, fringe, 30 signs, beads, napkins, table cloths....the works. He really outdid himself. And to think I get to keep it all and recycle it when he turns 30 in September (yes, I'm a cradle robber). Thank you to everyone who could make it, especially those that had to drive a long way to be there. It made me feel really special.




1 comment:

Alison said...

A new entry!!! Yeah!!! (Although be it old news!!) ;)