Wednesday, August 16, 2006

No, I Haven't Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted. Married life has been wonderful....not much different than before. After all the planning and coordinating of the big day, I thought I'd have all this free time afterwards to enjoy. Turns out that hasn't been the case. Every weekend since has been packed full of things to do. We finished out our registry and now have all new kitchen, bed and bath stuff. It's starting to feel like a home.....although there's no house to put it all in.

Now that we're married, we've been having discussions over what to do with our lives. My God, does that mean were adults now?! Anyway, we really want to buy a house, but living in the Bay Area is absolutely ludicrous when it comes to pricing. I mean, who in their right mind would shell out 3/4 of a million dollars for a house that's older than we are? And how can it possibly go up in value? So, we've been trying to put together a pro and con list for staying here.....

Pros:
Job opportunities
Good friends
Good income
City is close for concerts, museums, etc
Perfect weather

Cons:
Expensive housing
Expensive insurance
Expensive groceries
Bad drivers who are always in a hurry - not a good combo
Bottom line - expensive

If we made an income at what we should be making, then the cons would be somewhat eliviated. Still expensive, yet manageable. However, we both graduated at the downfall of the dot com industry and it took us over a year to find a job that was within our field. Basically, we took jobs at a lower income just so we could be empolyed. Which leads me to my next vent.....

My wonderful job that I love so much is no longer the job that I love so much. I like what I do, but don't really like the company that I do it for. I can't help but feel like a worthless pee-on that has no say in any decision what-so-ever. When I started, I worked for a Dir of Marketing who was a micro-manager. She got fired and now I report directly to the VP of Marketing and Sales who doesn't like Marketing. Talk about two extremes. Don't get me wrong, I like my boss that I have now. But I don't really see myself getting the experience I was hoping for when I first got hired. And now, our company isn't doing so well financially and I'm worried that I might not have a job by the end of the year. With that said, I am reevaluating my career goals. What do I want to do and where do I want to be headed? Jesus, am I having a mid-life crisis before I hit mid-life?? I think of it as motivating myself to do what makes me happy. So, I've done a lot of thinking and based on my experience, I think I want to shift more towards event planning. I've helped many friends with their weddings, I've planned my own, and I plan corporate meetings at my current job. And you know what? I love it! I've since bought a couple books on how to start my own business, but I think I want to get into hospitality venues first; like hotels, golf courses, or convention centers. I've updated my resume and am open for a new look on life. So, if you know anyone that is looking for an event guru, send them my way!

Well, that's what's been on my mind lately. Ok, on to happier thoughts......

My friend is getting married this weekend and yes, you guessed it, I am yet again a bridesmaid. It should be fun and very interesting. I'm taking a day off work and will have a 3 day weekend - YIPPEE! We'll be getting our nails done and helping set up the tables and some of the decorations tomorrow. Then Sat is the big day. I'll hopefully have pictures to post next time!

Till next time.....since I should be working. And I promise, the next time won't be so long.........

No comments: