Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I Finally Have a Green Thumb

Let me premise this post with the fact that I have been known to kill cactus and ivy. Yep, I've killed two of the hardest plants to kill. That's me. My name is Amber and I am a Plant Murderer. So what does the average Plant Murderer do? She goes and buys herself a house with 56 rose bushes and enough gardening areas to start her own farmer's market.

I've slowly been working my way through weeds, rose thorns, worms, spiders, blisters from shoveling and achy muscles that I never knew I had. But, it's starting to pay off. When we first moved into the house, there were so many weeds and dead leaves that I didn't know what was a weed or what was supposed to be there. So, I did the most logical thing and started tearing everything out. But, for the first time in many, many years, my mom scolded me. She said that I should wait until spring so that when things started blooming, I could decipher what was plant and what was weed. Good thing I listened (yes, mom, don't freak out, I still listen to you.)
This is what I found the other day:



Aren't they beautiful? In fact, I had to pick them and put them in a vase:


But wait, there's more! There is a raised garden bed on the side yard along the fence that I thought would make a great vegetable garden. There were all of these plants that looked like they were about to bloom. So I decided that I would dig them up and replant them in the barren flowerbed under the living room window. Which I did! Then things started to get really crazy.... I then attacked the very large strawberry patch that is somewhat hidden behind the spa/gazebo. I pulled up all the dead leaves and vines, dug up all the little strawberry plants, and replanted them in rows in the vegetable garden. (Um, yes, I know that strawberries are NOT vegetables, but humor me OK?)



Wow, look at me go. Plant Murderer becomes Plant Extraordinaire......I guess there is hope for me yet.

No comments: