Sunday, October 31, 2010

This is Halloween.......

I LOVE Halloween!! It's one of my favorite holidays. It's the kickoff holiday for the holiday season! And it's fun because you get to dress up. And it's that time of year that I get to watch one of my favorite movies: The Nightmare Before Christmas. Fun!

Every year, I try to think of a costume that has something to do with whatever the big news story was of the year. This year, I decided to be the BP oil spill. I made a hat of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig out of foam, wore black and made a sash of fishnet with fish and birds. I thought it was hilarious!! Brian decided to be Agent Simmons (John Turturro) from the movie Transformers. In case you missed the one minute of film, it's when the kids make him strip down to his Sector 7 superman under shirt and aloha boxer shorts. Yup. No one really knew who he was, but it was a pretty hilarious costume!



For the past couple of years, we've missed all the fun costume parties because I've had to work tradeshows. This year, my boss did the show for me, which meant that we got to actually go to some parties!!

The first party was a co-worker of Brian's. Wow. They completely decked their house out with creepy decor! The living room had a 9ft tall tree and an equally tall bear with sharp teeth! All handmade. Amazing! They had a costume contest, candy jar guessing games and a tarot card game. Brian's co-worker's dad is a magician, so he was there with 2 other magicians going around the party doing magic tricks. Despite not knowing anyone, we had a great time and met some new people!

 

The next night, I was invited to another party. Brian already had plans, so I went with a friend to her friend's house. She warned me that they always have a theme to their parties, but they never tell anyone....you find out when you get there. This year, they chose a Wild West theme. And man, she wasn't kidding...they go ALL.OUT. The yard was decorated like a ranch and every room in the house was decorated. The hostess was a saloon girl and her husband was a cowboy in a barrel. And then we went to their backyard.......they had rented a mechanical bull! SOOO FUN! Nearly everyone rode the bull and everyone showed up in amazing costumes! Some of my favorites were the Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp's version), Raggedy Ann, LED-lit robots and Tom Cruise's character from Tropic Thunder!







 
And then there's the pumpkin carving!!  Lucky's was having a killer sale on pumpkins (3 for $10!) so we got 3 pumpkins. I'm more of the stencil carver, Brian's more of the carve as you go type. So he carved the silly face and I carved the cartoony skeleton and the howling wolf. I really thought I ruined the wolf, but once the lights were out and the candles were lit, it actually looked pretty neat (just don't look at it in the daytime because it's not very pretty!).







 Aren't they cute?


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
 

No comments: