Things I Learned From My First Yoga Class:
- Thank God the lights were out and no one could see me.
- Because the lights were out, it was hard to see what the instructor was doing.
- The instructor should not assume that everyone knows what a child's pose is.
- How the F can you balance your entire body straight up in the air, while on your shoulders? I can't even get my ass off the ground.
- I can't breathe in over a 5 second count. My lungs fill up before the instructor hit 2.
- Ditto for breathing out for 5 seconds.
- I must see the doctor about a possible episode of Vertigo because I kept falling over.
- You actually get to take off your shoes to exercise.
- Shaking is not a sign of strength
- I am definitely, certainly, absolutely, positively NOT flexible. In fact, I am the exact OPPOSITE of being flexible.
- What exactly is a downward-facing-dog-looking-to-the-earth-while-a-blue-full-moon-shines-brightly-into-a-glimmering-pool-and-eating-pancakes-while-pigs-fly? Who comes up with these position names?
- Apparently stimulating my pituitary gland is a form of relaxation.
- The last 10 minutes focused on relaxation techniques - who knew that taking a nap was exercise?
- Is it a bad sign that class has been over for less than 2 hours and I'm already sore?
- I miss my Step Class.
As most of you know, my migraines are mostly caused from the build up of tension in my shoulders and neck. When it gets too tense, it pulls on my trigger point and causes a migraine. I went to acupuncture and discovered that this was the case. Because it got too expensive, I try to get massages now and again (although not NEARLY enough) to keep the tension down. Maybe this would be yet another way to keep my tension low. I'd be willing to sacrifice one hour, one night a week to do so.
If only I would have enjoyed it more. Maybe if I kept going and got more flexible, I might like it more. Oh, and maybe not feel so much like a big, fat, lazy lump. Yeah, that too.
3 comments:
Good for you for giving it a shot. I say give it a second chance... then re-evaluate!
Hey professor -- that's ok. Yoga isn't for me either -- it's too slow and too slow and did I mention it's too slow and I'm not patient enough for it. Plus I can't get past the names either. That's why I did ballroom...but ballroom can get full of drama queen competitive typs who ruin it... Blah.
Anyways, keep up the good work!!!
You crack me up Amber! Love the recount of your yoga experience!
Post a Comment