I'm starting over.
Lately, I've been depressed because I keep losing and gaining the same 6 lbs. And I hate it. One week, I lose and I'm happy. The next week, I gain it back and I'm frustrated. Over and over. So, I've taken a step back. Why do I keep doing this? I know what I need to do to lose the weight, but why aren't I doing it? It's one excuse after another. Then, we were going through some photos over the last year to pick for a holiday card. And there wasn't one photo that I was happy with. NOT ONE. I wanted to cry.
I've been getting emails from WW saying that they have readjusted their plan. So, I spent this morning checking it out. It actually makes a lot of sense. Not that it didn't before, but they've now merged their two programs: Flex (counting points - the one I'm used to) and Core (not counting points - the one I was afraid to try). And, they focus more on activity...which I think they should have focused more on in the beginning. Now, in conjunction with counting points, they also give you guidelines for "Filling" foods - the fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc. to guide you better in your food choices. I really think this is something that will help me better. I like to cook and have been making an effort to cook more. But I find that I stick to the same things - pasta, rice, etc. Things that I can throw nutritious foods into, but are more of a "topping" than the main part of the meal. Looking through the new list of foods, made me realize that I need to change my menu choices.
I'm also not going to focus on the over all 70+ lbs I want/need to lose. I need to set smaller goals that are more achievable and more encouraging. Cause when I see how much I need to lose, I lose hope and think, "I'm NEVER going to do that!" So, I'm going to set a series of goals - more like targets to measure my success. At each target, I want to reward myself somehow, like going shopping for new clothes, or buy that piece of art I've had my eye on, or go on a trip. Something non-food related that I can look forward to.
New targets:
#1) 6lbs each month (avg 1.5lbs per week)
#2) Each 10% weight loss
#3) My wedding weight
#4) My previous WW weight loss weight
#5) Wearing my skinny jeans that have been hanging in my closet for eons
#6) My goal weight
My exercise regimen hasn't been nearly what I need it to be. I always find an excuse to not go: I'm too tired, I need to go to the store, I need to clean the house, I need to do this, I need to do that, and on and on and on. I guess I just underestimated how difficult it would be to get back into a routine. I've been getting better at it though. I still go to my step class once a week, plus one or two trips to the gym. But on the nights I went to the gym, I'd be there for an hour or so and by the time I got home, showered and ate, it was time for bed. I felt like my nights were all used up and there was no time for anything else. And I get bored easily in my workouts and it was the same thing each night. I've recently (like last week) started a new regime and it seems to be somewhat working. I still need to get into the flow of things, but I think it will be easier to get into a schedule.
Mon: walk/run around Lake Merritt with a coworker
Tues: step class
Wed: 20 min elliptical, weights focused on arms
Thurs: 20 min elliptical, weights focused on legs
Fri: off
Sat: open
Sun: open
Sat and Sun are left open for different things. Either a repeat of Wed and Thurs, or something outdoors. Brian and I found a new little trail near our house called Lime Ridge. It has hilly trails if you want them, or a nice, flat trail. We were thinking of starting to walk/run that trail on the weekends when we don't have something planned.
So, that's my new plan. Eat better, stay focused and exercise more. I'm really hoping that this newer strategy is going to make it easier.
4 comments:
That sounds like a great plan Amber!! Let me know come February if you need a walking buddy on Sat or Sun's!!
Good plan Amber!! Hope I can be there to support you!!
Just wanted to stop by and say great plan! For me, it was key to not start out saying I was going to lose 60-70 pounds. I always looked at it in terms of small chunks. My first goal was 10% of my weight. Then 15 pounds. Then 10 pounds. And another 10. Etc. Now, each 5 pound loss is a milestone.
As for losing and gaining the same X pounds, I have been there. I AM there. I will say, and I know it doesn't "help," but if you continue on, you will push through.
Good luck!
Hey Chica, I am super proud of you! You sound so inspired and strong ! So, I am following in your footsteps and trying out this blog thing...
Post a Comment