Thursday, August 07, 2008

Kayaking Along the Russian River

Our summers used to be jam-packed of fun outdoorsy activities. But since we've bought the house, our weekends are mostly spent at home - cleaning, yard work, DIY projects, etc. So when our friend Nathan suggested kayaking, we were out the door faster than Nathan drives! We ended up driving out to the little coastal town of Jenner. They let you launch for free and there's easy parking next to the launch. We let the wind push us up-river, which meant we had to paddle against the wind to get back. That was NOT FUN! Luckily, there were lots of little alcoves that protected us from the wind so that we could rest our arms.

We also got to see seals! We couldn't get too close, but they were lounging on some tree stumps that were near the surface. On the way back, they even followed us! I tried to turn around and get a picture, but they dove under the surface as soon as I turned around. They were having all sorts of fun...they were popping their heads up to look at us, then slap the surface with their flipper, then jump and splash each other. They were really cute!

2 comments:

K @ Running Through Life said...

How cool! DH and I took a trip to the Russian River this Saturday (first time for us) and we can't wait to go back and kayak!

JeepGirl said...

Hey, Kayaks are so fun aren't they? We have the "sit inside" ones as opposed to the sit-on-top ones...You stay drier sitting inside. Sorry I've been slacking too.

Just tonight I thought to myself "Hey, what's the Professor been up to, I haven't heard from her." We've just been living, working, and fishing! Yesterday the dog swallowed a hook so that took up a lot of time...RJ did catch a 8.5 lb catfish though...Got the pics on myspace! Alrighty, don't work too hard!