Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Van Damme Camping Trip

I guess I never really got around to blogging about our camping trip a few weeks ago. So, here are some highlights.....and a TON of photos. (Cause we all know that photos tell a better story, right?)




First of all, I'd like to thank Nathan, Candy and Stu for inviting us to their annual family camping trip. It is a priviledge and an honor to be included each year. We always have a fantastic time. Oh, and the abalone doesn't hurt either. A big, big thank you!!!!



Day #1 - Sunday:
The first day was pretty much a lounge day. We had arrived really late Saturday, so we slept in and visited with our group. Candy and Stu's friends were about to embark on a 5 year sailing trip (yes, I said FIVE YEARS), so we got to see their boat before they left. Pretty cool huh?


Instead of staying at camp all day, we decided to pack a lunch and head out to the beach. Our friends were kayaking, so I made them some sandwiches and read my book until they came back to shore. Rough life! While I was sitting there, the seagulls decided that they needed to come check us out. Some even got super close. But this little guy was my Buddy. He just sat there. All.Day.Long.


Day #2 - Monday:
Um, yeah. We were completely not at work. And it was awesome! There was a river that dumped into the ocean that Nathan was telling us about, so we decided to go check it out. We packed a lunch and played on the beach all day.



The river was really clean and clear. If it wasn't for the fact that it was freezing-ass cold, I would have totally gone swimming. But I put my feet in and they pretty much turned purple right away. Not a good thing if you want to go swimming. Instead, we walked around the inlet and out to the ocean. There is nothing as calming as the sound of waves crashing to shore.


Day #3 - Tuesday:
On a previous trip, Brian and I had already hiked the trail to the pigmy forest that starts within the campground. (BTW....the pigmy forest really isn't worth the hike. The hike, however, is definitely worth doing.) We had heard about a trail along the Russian Gulch, so we decided to go see what it was all about. TOTALLY WORTH IT. There are several trails that lead to a waterfall. The trail we picked was 6.2 miles. It was so beautiful! Oh, and doesn't this log look like an ostrich?


Since the Russian Gulch trail was just outside of Fort Bragg, we were told that there was a beach made out of glass that we had to check out. So, what the hell....we jumped in the car and went to go find us some glass. Apparently, the townfolk used to dump all sorts of trash into the ocean - including glass. After decades and decades of getting pounded against the rocks by waves, the glass turned into small, smooth, colored bits of glass that now cover the entire beach. From afar, it looks like a typical sandy beach. But once you get onto the beach, it really is pretty neat.

Day #4 - Wednesday:
Unfortunately, Wednesday was the day we had to leave. But you can't make us leave without at least one trip on the kayaks!! It was low tide, so it was a bit difficult to paddle through all the kelp. We went through a couple of sea caves that were really cool....and they echo too. They kind of freak me out a little, but once I'm out the other side, I always feel like it was worth it.


Nathan also took us out to the little cove where they go abalone diving. They call it the "washing machine". There are a bunch of rocks that protect the cove from the open ocean. But because of that, it also creates a lot of different ways water can get pushed through the rocks when it's rough - causing a washing machine type effect in the cove. Luckily, it was a really calm day and we were able to kayak in without a hitch. On the cliff overlooking the cove is one of the most spectacular homes I've ever seen. The picture really doesn't do it any justice.



Once again, we had an awesome time. We can't wait until next year's trip!!!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Looks like an AWESOME trip!!!!

Oreste said...

Hello Amber, that beautiful that six, a salute from Rome. Ciao