Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Bet You're Wondering.....

where I've been, haven't you?

Well, the last month (wow, been that long, huh?) has been pretty busy. So in a nutshell, I'll tell you what I've been up to (in no particular order):
  • work
  • gym
  • book club
  • friend's baby shower
  • doctor visit
  • layoffs
  • jewelry business
Work Related Stuff:
Well, it's the beginning of the year. What does that mean? Let's get ready for the biggest tradeshow of the year. Yay me. The good thing is that we're doing something completely different this year. And everyone is SUPER excited about it. The scary thing is that it is so much more complex than any other show I've ever planned. I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out and that I don't fall flat on my face with this one. EVERYTHING is riding on this design. So, please send me lots of good luck/don't stress out too much dust from now until April. Oh, and the show STARTS on my birthday. How's that for karma?

Gym Related Stuff:
I'm bummed. Last night was the very last night of Step Class. They cancelled the class due to low attendence. However, they offer a Spinning Class every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:15pm. I'm thinking that if I take my gym bag to work, change at work and go straight to they gym, I can make the class on time. I hear the instructor is extremely prompt.....and it's a very full class. Luckily, I met a girl in my Step Class who takes the Spin Class. She gave me her number and told me to call her if I decide to try it out and she'll save me a bike. I'm trying it out tomorrow night. I hope I don't pass out or give myself a heart attack.

Book Club Related Stuff:
What's this you say? Yep, I joined a book club. I never thought I'd ever join one. I read slow and I always thought that I'd fall behind and never be able to finish the book before the next meeting. We're now about to choose our 3rd book and I've had no problems keeping up. Let's hope this next book is good. The theme this time around is Chick Lit. Honestly, it's never really been my style of literature. But that's what's really great about a book club - it get's me to read new things. So, who knows....maybe I'll get hooked!

Friend's Baby Shower Related Stuff:
I swear, I think I missed the Girl's Night where we all drink this magical potion that gets you pregnant. I'm literally surrounded by beautiful pregnant ladies!! Seriously, 5 of my friends are pregnant! One is due ANY day now. And this past weekend, I went to another's Baby Shower. It was really fun! They had these super cool crafty games (right up my alley!!) - guess the book title or author of kid books, make a baby face using copies of baby photos of the parents to be and their parents, and painting blocks. It was a lot of fun and she looked beautiful. Can't wait to meet Baby C!!

Doctor Visit Related Stuff:
So I went to the doctor for my regular annual exam. I noticed I felt a lump and had my doctor check it out. It turns out it's just a cyst, but I have to have my first mammogram at age 30. I kind of freaked out, but my doctor explained that it didn't feel like a cancer lump would feel like and that it's really small. She explained that cysts are normal (and actually runs in my family). She wants me to have the mammogram just to check it out and make sure it's nothing. I'm sure it is nothing (I completely love and trust my doctor), and I'll feel better after the results come back, but it's still a little freaky none-the-less.

Layoff Related Stuff:
Yep, the crappy economy finally is rearing its ugly head at my work. Monday, we had layoffs. I'm still employed and I can't tell you how relieved I am that I still have a job. It was a reality check that I need to stay focused and move forward as I've always done before. I wish all the best of luck to those that got that unfortunate severence package. Stay strong.

Jewelry Business Related Stuff:
And now, I saved the best for last: I opened an Etsy shop to sell my jewelry. Friends and family have been telling me for years, that I should sell my jewelry. I never thought I was good enough. But I do love it and I think I've mastered some of the techniques along the way to produce some really neat pieces. I recently organized all of my beading supplies and set up a work station in the office. I thought, "why not?". I have everything I need, might as well try and sell some of it and make a little money. About a year ago, I heard about this online site called Etsy where people make things and sell it online - think Ebay for crafty people. Little by little, I heard about it more and more. Then I knew a couple of people who actually became sellers. They said it was easy. So, I looked into it and jumped feet first. This past weekend, I launched my site: www.twitterpatedbydesign.etsy.com. I sold my first pair of earrings on the first day. Wow. Cool. I'm going to try to make and list new items on a regular basis, so check back often! And, because I'm in marketing, I have to stress the fact that Word-of-Mouth is more powerful than you think! Spread the word!!

So that's what I've been up to lately. How 'bout you??

No comments: