Thursday, January 07, 2010

My New (Old) Bookcase

I'm playing catch up.....

I had been looking for a specific style bookcase for a while, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for....or I did, but I wasn't willing to spend the cash. So, back in June, I turned to Craigslist to see if I could find something there. Finally! After months of looking, I found exactly what I wanted!!!! Only it was old, horrendously painted and in dire need of some TLC. But I saw potential.

Before:



I know, right? Who the F would want to buy that?

ME!!! I saw it and immediately saw a vision. I had to buy it. Brian and I headed out to Berkeley to pick it up. Over the next couple of weeks, I sanded, painted and stenciled my way to my vision.

After:


Who knew it could turn out so damn COOL!! I'm pretty proud of myself.
Although, I do kind of wish I would have made some kind of ruler marks to make the stamping be more even. But SHHHH! If I put all the books on the bottom shelf no one will ever know. All it needed was a little love. And all it took was a little sanding (ok....a LOT of sanding), one little can of black paint, two drawer handles, some leftover baseboard paint, and a $1 stamp from Michael's. So, for around $50, I got a new bookcase!

And a new hobby: refinishing. I've got a hopechest that I've had for years that could use a little freshening up. And, now, instead of a new bedroom set, I'm scouring Craigslist to see if I can find some potential masterpieces....

No comments: