Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grandpa Rex - My Favorite Fishing Buddy

When I got back from London, my dad called me to tell me that my Grandpa Rex had passed away. I can honestly say that we were a little shocked. He was relatively healthy (as far as 84 yr olds go), but he never did get back to his normal self when my Grandma Marion passed away last September. He just went to sleep that night and never woke up. We like to think that he died of a broken heart. I want to believe that he's happy and with my grandma again.

That following weekend, Brian and I rented a car and heading out to Big Pine for the funeral. Because the Sierra's got hit with a late storm, Tioga Pass was still closed. We opted to take the Sonora Pass instead because it was open. Man, was that a beautiful drive! 


Along the way, we passed Mono Lake!


And then our old fishing grounds - Lake Crowley. My grandparents would take me on their boat every summer and go fishing. This was our favorite spot.


Big Pine at last.....THE Big Pine of Big Pine.


The first night, we went for a walk to visit the nearby stable to visit the horses. Ever since I was little, every trip consisted of a nightly walk to pet the ponies. Because Mule Days was the weekend before, there were some mules mixed in with the ponies! And in one stall, there was a donkey keeping another horse company. If only we had brought some carrots!



The next day was the funeral. My aunt sang my grandpa's favorite song - Wind Beneath My Wings. Then we walked down to the church and had a little service. It was held in a beautiful old church that was built in the 1800's. We got to ring the church bell in honor of my grandpa.


Then we headed back to the house and reminisced as we went through boxes and boxes of old photographs. **There is nothing more hilarious than coming across photos of family members in gogo boots, brown courderoy tuxedos, feathered hair and embroidered shirts paired with bell bottoms while singing, playing guitar and the harmonica while drunk at a party. My family truly knows how to have fun!**


I think the saddest part, was the fact that I have so many memories there. At the house, in the town and alllllll of the areas surrounding it. Every summer was spent in Big Pine visiting my grandparents. It helped make me who I am today. And I will always have fond memories of.....


the house:

the infamous Schat's Bakery:

 and most of all, the mountains:

1 comment:

Alison said...

Gorgeous Amber. Peace be with your grandpa.