Saturday, June 19, 2010

Easter Hike



For Easter, Brian and his mom, Diane, and I decided to go for a hike in Briones and have a picnic lunch. What a way to kick off the spring? Only the weather had other plans. During the hike, it started sprinkling on us. We decided to take a trail that was covered by trees so that it would protect us from the rain. For the most part, it did, but eventually the trail was getting wetter and more slick. 

 

We decided to give up on the idea of the picnic lunch and started to head back to the car before the rain really decided to come down. The trail home was.....um...interesting. Even though we had our good hiking shoes on (I had just bought a brand new pair of Merrill's), the mud would cake on our treads and we were slipping and sliding our way all the way back to the car! 



On the way back, we ran into a couple of friends. Briones is open range, so occasionally, you'll run into a herd of cattle. They don't really pay any attention to you. I'm sure they see people all the time. We also came across many fire newts. Man, I love these guys!! I used to have a couple as pets when I was younger. They were all over the muddy trail!!




We took our muddy shoes off and hopped in the car and ended up having a picnic lunch in the car. Afterwards, we headed home and dyed Easter eggs....quite possibly my favorite thing about the holiday!! 


It was quite the adventure, but it was beautiful and we all had fun!

 

No comments: