Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sin City - NAB 2010

NAB is my biggest show of the year. Around November, I start planning. Over the course of the next 5 months, this is what rules my days at work. This year was more complicated for several reasons:

1) This year, instead of having complete control over my booth, our corporate father decided that it would be a great idea to have one booth vendor for all the companies (roughly 9 - 12 of us). What should have been a highly synchronized, ultra-organized, well planned idea turned into my worst nightmare. Not one person could make a logical decision in a timely manner, meaning simply, that I was constantly scrambling to meet my deadlines and adhere to the ever-changing demands of the big cheese. But, no pressure.


2) We launched (ok, previewed) a brand new product. The first product in the last few decades that we have designed from the ground up. It's revolutionary and truly innovative. But, no pressure.


3) Along with this brand new product, we previewed major key enhancements to 3, yes 3, other products. One is an OEM product from a company that challenges me on a daily basis. But, no pressure.

4) Then, about 1 week before the show starts, my company gets sold.....to a competitor. What exactly does this mean? It means that I had to secretly explain (give them an explanation without really giving them the confidential reasons) to my booth vendor why I'm requesting our corporate graphics need to be covered, why I'm backing out of my corporate customer segments, why I'm changing my shipping logistics, etc. I had to orchestrate a press release without telling my PR agency what was going on, and secretly change our website so that it would be accurate by the time the announcement hit. Oh, and get all new business cards for 30+ people in 2 days notice. But, no pressure.


5) Have I mentioned that my boss is on maternity leave this whole time? But....NO PRESSURE.


In light of all this, I actually held it together. I honestly didn't think I could. My now former colleague brethren were sad to see us leave, while our new corporate father embraced us with open arms. The show went well, the acquisition announcement was well received, and I'm not going to lie.....showing my executive team that I can handle all of this without my boss was the icing on the cake.

No comments: