Monday, July 13, 2009

4th of July Camping Trip

This year, my cousins invited us to go camping for the weekend holiday. We love to camp and I never get a chance to hang out with my cousin outside of various family get togethers, so we said, why not?

We headed out early Friday and headed up to Cisco Grove. Traffic was a bear (of course), so it took us a while to get there. Once we got there, we saw that there were 3 campsites for our group. We picked out a small flat area and set up camp. The first day was really just us setting up camp and introducing ourselves to my cousin's friends. Our site looked like a little tent compound! We walked around the campground a bit. It's a different kind of camping than what we're used to. This place is really geared more towards RV's, ATV's and dirt bikes. There are a few lakes that you can ride to and some nice long trails along the ridge. My cousin didn't bring their bikes, so we stayed
pretty close to camp.

The next day, we headed up one of the 4-wheel drive only roads (in a 2-wheel drive truck) and found a nice spot to go shooting. Yes, you heard me, SHOOTING. I've only ever shot my dad's gun.....and that was years ago. I was a little scared at first, but Brian made me shoot his little rifle first. It's really quiet and doesn't have much of a kick (compared to the other, very intimidating guns like the double barrel 12 gauge shot gun!!). After the first round, I wanted to keep shooting! It was a ton of fun....and seeing my cousins kids get into it was really fun! We set up targets and pine cones to aim at and completely obliterated the target boxes. Later that day, we went down to the river. Even though it was right by the road, that section of the river was really beautiful and peaceful. I laid out on the rocks while some of the others went further down stream and waded in the water.


On Sunday, we had to head back, but because it was a holiday weekend, we knew it would take forever to get home. We ended up going for a little sight-seeing drive to kill some time. We took the frontage road from the campsite and headed north. Eventually, we ended up at Donner Lake. Of all the times I've passed by that lake, I don't think I've ever actually stopped to take a look. So we did! OMG! That lake is gorgeous! And it's got a campground.....which means, we might have a Donner Lake camping trip in our future. We had lunch at the vista point, and then headed down to the lake. We walked to a little beach and put our feet in the water. It was cold, but not super freezing. Definitely swimming temperature! After a while, we decided that we better start making our very long way back home.


Although we didn't get to see fireworks this year, it was still a really fun weekend! Thanks Julie and Karlin!

No comments: